Show simple item record

dc.contributor.author Batalla, Ramon J.
dc.contributor.author Vericat, Damià
dc.date.accessioned 2011-04-20T10:26:47Z
dc.date.available 2011-04-20T10:26:47Z
dc.date.issued 2006
dc.identifier.citation Batalla , R J & Vericat , D 2006 , ' Sediment transport in a large impounded river: The lower Ebro, NE Iberian Peninsula ' Geomorphology , pp. 72-92 . en
dc.identifier.other PURE: 158621
dc.identifier.other dspace: 2160/6674
dc.identifier.uri http://hdl.handle.net/2160/6674
dc.identifier.uri http://site.iugaza.edu.ps/smhamdan/files/Geomorphology-2006-79-072.pdf en
dc.description Vericat, D., Batalla, R. J. (2006). Sediment transport in a large impounded river: The lower Ebro, NE Iberian Peninsula. Geomorphology, 79, 72-92 doi:10.1016/j.geomorph.2005.09.017 Sponsorship: Spanish Ministry of Science and Technology (REN2001-0840-C02-01/HID). The first author received a grant from the Spanish Ministry of Education. en
dc.description.abstract The sediment transport of the highly regulated lower Ebro River is estimated on the basis of a measuring programme carried out between 2002 and 2004. Total sediment transport, including both suspended load and bedload, was measured upstream and downstream from the Mequinenza and Riba-roja reservoirs, with special attention to the transport during floods. Annual total load upstream from the dams is estimated at around 1.64·106 t, of which at least 99% is transported in suspension. Annual total load downstream from the dams is estimated at around 0.45·106 t, of which 60% is transported in suspension and the remaining 40% as bedload (mean D50-bl in the range of 32mm). Total load represents 3% of what was transported at the beginning of the 20th century in the delta plain. Sediment yield is three to four times lower below the dams, a fact that is caused by the trapping of sediment within the reservoirs (around 90% in the case of suspended sediment and 100% in the case of bedload). As a consequence, sediment that is transported downstream from the dams is all entrained from the riverbed and eroded from the banks. The sediment deficit causes a mean riverbed incision of 30mm per year, as estimated from bedload measurements and by means of scour chains and painted pebbles located between the lowermost dam and the measuring section 28km downstream. Since floods have been reduced on average by 25% but sediment supply from upstream has been reduced to almost nothing, the river channel of the lower Ebro River will continue exporting sediment both during floods (N2000m3/s, mostly bedload) and frequent high flows (1000m3/s to 2000m3/s), making the incision progressive unless restoration steps are taken. en
dc.format.extent 21 en
dc.language.iso eng
dc.relation.ispartof Geomorphology en
dc.title Sediment transport in a large impounded river: The lower Ebro, NE Iberian Peninsula en
dc.type Text en
dc.type.publicationtype Article (Journal) en
dc.contributor.institution Aberystwyth University en
dc.contributor.institution Centre for Catchment and Coastal Research en
dc.description.status Peer reviewed en


Files in this item

Files Size Format View

There are no files associated with this item.

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record

Search Cadair


Advanced Search

Browse

Statistics